As I approach my 64th birthday on September 19th, I started to think about a check list of important items that I should need or do to prepare for this birthday.
Before I began jotting down the list, I thought I would listen to that wonderful song that the Beatles wrote about being 64 years old, When I’m Sixty Four for some inspiration. Warning, before you listen to this music video maybe grab a cocktail to calm yourself down first! Especially if you are approaching 64!
My husband and I share an office – so by default, he was listening, too. Poor guy was suddenly sitting next to a very outraged wife. I could not control my sudden outbursts of not so sweet words (Sorry Mom, yes, I still use the F word sometimes.) at the computer.
WTF!!!????? Whoa ——-no thank you, Beatles!
I feel fabulous because I take good care of myself! I am not losing my hair, and no one at our house is sitting by a fireside all day knitting. No one needs to feed me – I can feed myself…thank you very much! So much for the musical inspiration.
Here are my tips for prepping for 64:
- Yearly Pap Smear – At my Gyn visit. I love my Gyn and this visit is important to me.
- Colonoscopy- 10-year re-check was done this year.
- Mammogram – I have dense breasts so I request my mammogram with Breast Tomosynthesis. The regular digital mammography produces one image of the overlapping tissue. The Breast Tomosynthesis takes multiple images of the entire breast so that radiologists can see through layers of tissue and examine areas of concern from all angles.
- Yearly physical with my internist with proper blood tests.
- Bone Health Check: –Testing for osteoporosis with a bone mineral density test is usually recommended for women at age 65, but I get checked every couple of years. This is the only test that can diagnose osteopenia or osteoporosis by measuring the bone density in your hip and spine.
- Dentist – I am now getting my teeth cleaned every 4 months.
- Eye Exam – Time to check my current prescription and get screened for other more serious developing eye health issues.
- Bioidentical FDA approved Hormone Therapy (HT) – Staying on them – feel great!
- LET (Local Estrogen Therapy)- No dry vagina here.
- Exercise – Walk 2x week with a girlfriend, 3x week with David (my husband), and 2x do resistance training.
- Continue eating healthy – I feel better when I eat clean and healthy. However, I definitely plan to enjoy any and all birthday cake.
- Hair– Color and Haircut – Gray be gone.
- Practice random acts of kindness.
- Find passion, purpose, and joy in each day.
- Celebrate Life – make every day during my 64th year feel like my birthday.
I am looking forward to having birthday lunches and dinners with friends- thank you for reaching out and celebrating me!
This year my family birthday party will be an all-day party at our house– lunch, swimming, and dinner – Pooh Bear themed of course! Pooh is my fav philosopher and approved by my granddaughter. As Pooh says, “Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.”
Ready set go 64!
Please be sure to keep sending me wine, valentines and birthday greetings!
Now, I need to reach out to Paul McCartney. It is time for him to do a re-do of this song or change the age in the song to 95! I don’t care if it doesn’t rhyme because there is no rhyme or reason for this song to be referring to a 64-year-old! I shall continue to be active, alive, inspired, productive, creative, and play with my granddaughter (& a grandson on the way) as much as possible. You can find us under the sea!
Remember: Suffering in silence is OUT! Reaching out is IN.
For great tips on how to find a menopause specialist and deal with menopause, download my free eBook: MENOPAUSE MONDAYS the Girlfriend’s Guide to Surviving and Thriving During Perimenopause and Menopause.
Be sure to sign up for my fun YouTube Videos!
14 thoughts on “Prepping For My 64th Birthday”
Happy Happy Birthday Girlfriend!! The Pooh Bear suit is fabulous. It is totally appropriate for your 64th party. Who doesn’t like Pooh and he looks fabulous for his age and he is smarter than the average bear, or was that Yogi?
Haha……….That was Yogi…………..I love him too. I think I am partial to bears!
Happy Birthday, Ellen!!!!!! I, too, am turning 64 in a few days. It feels a little daunting to be closer to the mid-60’s however I, too, am very proud of how good I take care of myself. Have a great birthday–and enjoy the cake!
Virgo’s rule, Randie! Sending you a birthday hug and congrats on taking good care of you!
I like and am inspired by your list, Ellen! Thanks for sharing it.
Thank you, Carol.
As Ellen approaches her 64th, I continue to wowed by her. First of all, there is no way she even comes close to acting (or looking) like she is 64. I say this even though we both celebrate life and aging. She owes some of this to genetics, and a lot to taking care of herself and having learned to put herself on her own “to do” list.
Most importantly, her energy, health and youthfulness, are I believe, do to living a purposeful life.
All of you should know, that from the time she wakes up every day, and through the course of her entire day, she dedicates her life to the wellness of others. That includes caring and being available to help all of you, and also being the rock and the core of our family. She is the most dedicated mother,grandma, and wife imaginable. She never misses an opportunity to help others. That is what keeps her young and healthy, and that, above her great looks and passion for life, is what I admire the most in her. Happy Birthday my love!
Keep up the great work, we are all grateful for it. We love you.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Thank you, sweetie, for these very beautiful words. Your love and support over these past 41 years has helped me be fearless in pursuing my passions!
You are an amazing role model! This is a great list, and, yes, we will all still need you when you’re 64!
Haha…………thanks Lois! Love that!
I’ll be 64 in December and have been thinking about that song too. Great list.
Aren’t we lucky we get to celebrate 64 this year?! I shall be thinking about you in December my dear!
Wonderful blog! I really surprized about knowing your body maintaining habits. Really appreciated, to manage our own body as the age of 64! I also take care of my body but my teeths are not right and have been loosen, so could you suggest me the best orthodontist to take care of my teeth, then, I can enjoyed my 63th birthday full of enjoyment!
Happy 63rd Birthday! I am sorry, but I am unable to recommend an orthodontist. Perhaps ask your internist for a recommendation. Good Luck!