Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and then the holidays officially begin! The grocery stores have sold out of turkeys, urban pumpkin patches have been converted to Christmas tree lots, and everyone is talking about their plans for December. For some of us, it’s not enough to just have Thanksgiving. You may believe you must have THE BEST THANKSGIVING EVER! You might have even spent days just focused on preparing your turkey.
So what else is the perimenopause and menopause woman focused on this Thanksgiving?
- She is focused on how she is going to remember to take the turkey out of the oven.
- She is focused on her stomach and her hips — wondering if she’s going to fit into last year’s holiday clothes.
- She is focused on how to keep her unpredictable emotions under control when the inevitable family/holiday stress kicks in.
- She is focused on getting a good night’s sleep – because she has forgotten what that is!
In honor of the sisterhood, in recognition of all that we contribute to our families and to our communities, and in the spirit of this day of thankfulness, I’ll share with you my recipe for a Happy Thanksgiving:
- 2 bushels of friends and family
- One 2 pound bag of gratitude
- 1/2 cup of “It’s ok not to be perfect.”
- 3 sticks of “Can you help me plan, cook, and clean up?”
- 4 large cups of peeled, cored, and chopped forgiveness
- 1 teaspoon patience
Do not preheat the oven – you are already too hot.
In a large bowl combine ingredients:
- Do not blend into a sauce as you are saucy enough as it is.
- Gently stir the above ingredients together. Never beat anything – especially yourself. Stop before ingredients are completely combined. Let the mixture have texture – imperfect but with some personality.
- Take one deep breath in and release. Remember that reaching out is IN. Suffering in silence is OUT.
- Fold in lots of love.
- Chill! :>)
Now that’s a recipe for a truly BEST THANKSGIVING EVER. Low stress, low calorie, and a treat for the whole family!
From my home to yours, may you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!