Digesting the Holidays!
The holidays are upon us and you know what that means? Lots of parties full of tempting holiday cheer and rich holiday food.
Remember the Freshman 15? Well, let’s try to avoid the Holiday 10!
There is a way to enjoy the holidays without packing on that holiday weight. This is not the time to lose weight! However, my goal is to just maintain my current weight. In order to be successful at this, every year I consciously create a healthy strategy!
Here are my top 6 tips to help you enjoy the holidays without expanding your waistline:
- Make time for some exercise during these hectic holiday daze! Exercise helps to relieve holiday stress and offset some of the holiday eating.
- Grab a healthy snack before the party. Never go to a party hungry!!! Whenever I do go to a party hungry, I find myself ignoring the guests and making a beeline for the food as if it was the last supper.
- Limit yourself to one drink! Sip it slowly! Remember, alcoholic drinks are loaded with calories — especially holiday favorites like eggnog. Eggnog has a whopping 343 calories and 11 grams of saturated fat per cup, according to Nutrition Data’s analysis. Alcohol also tends to lessen our inhibitions and induce overeating.
- Wear snug attire! I know you would rather put on that billowing top, but if you are in something a bit more snug…chances are you are going to pay more attention to what you are eating and drinking. Don’t over Spanx yourself! Be comfortable but not jammies comfortable!
- Trim off the trimmings! Keep the rich, gravy laden, saucy holiday favorites to a minimum and gravitate toward the “cleaner” choices.
- Don’t deprive yourself of that pumpkin pie! Plan for it by leaving room for dessert.
I love the holidays! They are a wonderful time to bring family and friends together. You can have fun and enjoy your holiday favorites by being mindful of your choices. Eating healthier is much easier than you think!
My Motto: Suffering in silence is OUT! Reaching out is IN!
Click here to download my free eBook, MENOPAUSE MONDAYS The Girlfriend’s Guide To Surviving and Thriving During Perimenopause and Menopause.